One of my favourite foodie spots in Galle Fort is Galle Fort Hotel which is also featured in my foodie guide of Where to Eat and Drink in Galle Fort.
I requested the recipe to share with you here on Style in Sri Lanka as it’s truly delicious. I’ve already published one chicken curry by Jetwing Hotels- this has a richer, creamier sauce fragranced with ginger and lemongrass in comparison to the rustic kick of tamarind in Jetwing’s found here.
The recipe is with boneless chicken. In Sri Lanka meat is often cooked on the bone but as this blog is aimed for an international audience, I decided that boneless would be more suitable and appealing to a larger audience.
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 large onion finely sliced onion
3 sprigs curry leaves
1 1/2 inch piece of rampe
½ tsp chopped ginger
½ tsp chopped garlic
1 stalk of lemongrass
1 piece of cinnamon
1 tsp vegetable oil
Salt to taste
½ a cup thick coconut milk
1. Cut the chicken into cubes and marinate with salt, chilli powder, curry powder and turmeric for about 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the sliced onions, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cinnamon, rampe and cloves in a medium heat till lightly browned.
3. Add the marinated chicken, half of the coconut milk and let it cook for 10 -15 minutes with the lid on.
4. Mix in the rest of the coconut milk bring to boil, reduce the heat to simmer for about 5 minutes till the meat is cooked through.
5. Season to taste and serve hot.
Any tips of your own when cooking this dish? Do share below!