Fancy a tasty reinvention of the classic omelette? With just a couple of extra ingredients you can cook up a delicious Sri Lankan alternative, perfect for a wholesome breakfast or a speedy lunch or dinner
1/4 onion finely chopped (red or white depending on taste)
3 curry leaves (coarsely chopped)
1 large tomato
1 green chilli
Salt, pepper, oil
- Whisk the eggs and season well with salt and pepper
- Fry the onion, chilli and curry leaves in a pan (with a little oil) until the onion turns transparent
- Add the tomatoes for 30 seconds, then slowly add the egg mixture
– With chilli and onion you don’t really need cheese to enhance the taste. I like my Sri Lankan omelette with ketchup, preferably with a bite of chilli as it comes in Sri Lanka.
– Use 2 eggs and one white (without the yolk) or 1 egg and 2 whites. The yolk contains the cholesterol and calories.