Fancy a nutritious reinvention of the classic omelette? With just a couple of additional ingredients you can cook up a delicious Sri Lankan adaptation, perfect for a wholesome breakfast or a convinient lunch/dinner with a side salad.
1/2 finely chopped medium red onion
3 curry leaves (coarsely chopped)
1 large tomato
1 green chilli
Salt, pepper, oil
A splash of milk
- Whisk the eggs, add a splash of milk and season with salt and pepper
- Fry the onion, chilli and curry leaves in a pan (with a little oil) until the onion turns transparent
- Add the tomatoes for 30 seconds, then slowly add the egg mixture
– Unlike a typical British omelette, you don’t really need cheese to enhance the taste as it has a spicy kick. I like mine with ketchup.
– For a heart healthy omelette, use 2 eggs (both yolk and white) and one white without the yolk.